Thank you to everyone who completed the 2013 ITAD trends survey!
It is fair to summarize the findings with just two words: Dramatic improvement!
Here are the top-level highlights:
- Dramatic increase in the number organizations with formal controls (86%, up from 55%).
- Dramatic increase in success tracking assets (56% track 90% or more of their retired assets, up from 41%).
- ITAD vendor (66%) surpassed recycling as the most popular method of disposal.
- Data security remained the most important factor.
- Greater importance is being placed on consistent disposal process, 3rd party verification, and chain-of-custody.
- Organizations are doing more to secure or destroy data prior to disposal.
Download the complete results of the 2013 ITAD Trends Survey.
Organizations are taking ITAD more seriously. Clearly, the efforts are beginning to pay off.
The biggest difference between 2012 and 2013 relates to formal controls. More organizations put formal controls in place this year. This means lower risk and improved compliance.
Of course, overall averages can be a little misleading. Naturally, organizations with controls have greater success tracking assets. In 2013, it is exciting to see these organizations actually improve tracking (65% track 90% or more of their retired assets, up from 59%).
It is logical to assume that tracking improvement is likely due to increased importance of having a consistent process, 3rd party verification, chain-of-custody, and reporting.
Thank you again for your participation this year. If you have any questions, comments, or want additional detail about the data, please let me know.
PS – if you want some great data about ITAD, you might enjoy this Harvard Business Review article (“The Most Overlooked Part of Your Data Security”).